The United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) has named four combinations who will represent the U.S. Olympic Eventing Team and one traveling reserve for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
The following athlete and horse combinations will make up the team are:
- Phillip Dutton (West Grove, Pa.) and Caroline Moran, Simon Roosevelt, and Thomas Tierney’s Fernhill Cubalawn (Direct Reserves; HND Group’s Mighty Niceand Ann Jones and Thomas Tierney’s Fernhill Fugitive)
- Lauren Kieffer (Middleburg, Va.) and Team Rebecca, LLC’s Veronica (Direct Reserve; Marie Le Menestrel’s Meadowbrook’s Scarlett)
- Boyd Martin (Cochranville, Pa.) and Blackfoot Mystery Syndicate, LLC’s Blackfoot Mystery, a 2004 Thoroughbred gelding (Direct Reserve; Gloria Callen’s Welcome Shadow)
- Clark Montgomery (Tetbury, England) and Holly and William Becker, Kathryn Kraft, and Jessica Montgomery’s Loughan Glen).
The following combination has been named as the traveling reserve:
- Maya Black (Clinton, Wash.) and Dawn and Jonathan Dofelmier’s Doesn’t Play Fair. .
On his selection, Phillip Dutton said: “It’s a great honour to have been named to the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team with Fernhill Cubalawn, owned by Tom Tierney, Simon Roosevelt and Caroline Moran. HND Group’s Mighty Nice and Tom Tierney and Annie Jones’ Fernhill Fugitive were also named as direct reserves. I’m really pleased for all of the people who have stood by me with all of these horses, and the credit has to go to Emma Ford, my family, sponsors, owners and entire support team. None of this would be possible without them. It’s a great privilege to represent your country — to do that at an Olympic Games is as good as it gets. It’s a big responsibility, but also an incredible honour. This is a strong team with four good horses and a lot of experience and talent between us all. I’m optimistic about what we can do as a team. We hope to do everyone proud.”