With the Mark Davies Injured Riders Fund National Equestrian Safety Day on 25th March, we asked Gemma Tattersall, supporter of the charity for her top safety tips ahead of the eventing season..
1. When turning out wear a hat, gloves and lead your horse with a lunge line.
2. Wear safety stirrups.
3. Wear bright reflective clothing when hacking at all times of the year.
4. Always tie your horse to something that will snap easily.
5. Don’t ever put yourself in the situation where you are in a rush dealing with horses. Take time and be thorough.
7. Make sure all your tack fits correctly, including boots. An uncomfortable horse will be unhappy.
8. Always wear a good pair of protective boots on your feet, even in the summer when it’s hot!
9. When you take rugs off always do up their legs straps! They can take your eye out if you don’t when putting the rug on next time!
10. Always be one step ahead and plan for every situation, this will keep you much safer.
For further information on the day & top tips on staying safe this season CLICK HERE