The inaugural British Eventing Awards have recognised the successes of the sport on national and international level.
The lunch, which took place on Friday 27th January at Stoneleigh Abbey was attended by the winners, award winners, sponsors, BE staff and guests to reflect on success in 2016, with an air of excitement building for the impending 2017 season.
Both National League winners and Championship performances were recognised with the presentation of some of British Eventing’s most historic trophies. The awards acknowledged not only sporting success in 2016, but also those who went above and beyond in their commitment to the eventing community.
College student Steph Smith was awarded a BE Commendation in recognition of her exceptional dedication to the sport. Steph, who has volunteered at Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials for the past five years, was called in at the last minute to help lead a team of over 100 fence judges at Blenheim Palace when her mother Jennie was taken ill.
For the third year in a row Oliver Townend was awarded the Tony Collins Trophy for the BE leading rider with a huge total of 2,380 British Eventing points, some 1,085 points ahead of closest rider Andrew Nicholson. Oliver had over 250 national and international starts in 2016 with over 30 wins including being crowned the British Open Champion at The Festival of British Eventing.
- Leading British Eventing Rider in 2016 (Tony Collins Trophy), Presented by BE Chairman Paul Hodgson; Oliver Townend
- Leading Under 21 Rider in 2016 (The Goldman Cup), Presented by BE Chairman Paul Hodgson; Sam Ecroyd
- Leading Foundation Points Rider in 2016, Presented by Lance Bradley, CEO of Mitsubishi Motors UK; Alex Postolowski Award collected by Sue Postolowski
- Mitsubishi Motors Foundation Points Rider League, Presented by Lance Bradley, CEO of Mitsubishi Motors UK; Laura Greenhalgh, Award was collected by Sarah Reeve
- Highest placed British Rider at Rio Olympics (Jane Holderness Roddam Trophy), Presented by BE President Jane Holderness Roddam CBE LVO; William Fox-Pitt, Award collected by Jackie Potts
- Highest placed British Rider at Young Rider European Championships 2016 (Sir John Burder Trophy), Presented by Chairman of Young Rider Selectors Alex Colquhoun; India Wishart
- Highest placed British Rider at Pony European Championships 2016 (Jane Rook Trophy), Presented by BE CEO David Holmes; Saffron Cresswell
- Highest placed British Rider at Junior European Championships 2016 (Hubert Allfrey Trophy),
Presented by Chairman of Juniors Darrell Scaife; Chelsea Pearce
- Breeder of the Leading British Bred Horse in 2016 (Wide Awake Trophy), Presented by BE President Jane Holderness Roddam CBE LVO, Elaine Hepworth (Breeder of Classic Moet)
- BE Commendation in Recognition of Exceptional Dedication to the Sport, Presented by BE Chairman Paul Hodgson; Steph Smith