The Federation Equestre International (FEI) has launched its new 2016 rules for Eventing with Minimum Eligibility Requirements (MERs) increasing for four star competitions.
The previous MER rules for four star qualification required one CCI3* and two CIC3* results in addition to National Federation requirements for all riders except those in Category A, who could compete a horse at CCI4* level if it had completed a CCI3* competition.
The FEI rules now require riders who are uncategorised or in Category C and D to gain completions at two CCI3* events and an additional CIC3*. In addition to National Federation requirements, riders in Category B will be required to gain one CCI3* and three CIC3* completions. Category A riders will now be required to qualify for CCI4* competitions by completing a CCI3* event as a pair with the horse.
The updated Minimum Eligibility Requirements will be enforced as of 29 June 2016, and for four star competition will be in effect for events at Burghley, Pau and Adelaide.
An MER is achieved by completing an event within minimum parameters of all round performance as follows:
- a) Dressage Test: not more than 75 penalty points.
- b) Cross Country Test: a clear round at obstacles and no more than 90 seconds exceeding the optimum time in the Cross Country Test for one, two and three star level Competitions and 120 seconds in the case of four star level competitions.
- c) Jumping Test: not more than 16 penalties at obstacles.
The valid period for obtaining a Minimum Eligibility Requirement is anytime until:
- At least 24 days before the Cross Country Test of the Competition for which is needed if the MER has been achieved at a Long Format Competition (CCIs).
- At least 10 days before the Cross Country Test of the Competition for which is needed if it has been achieved at a Short Format Competition (CICs).
The new FEI rules will also let the MER to allow 11 penalties for breaking a frangible pin to qualify.
To read the full FEI Eventing Rules for 2016 visit http://www.fei.org/sites/default/files/2016%20Eventing%20Rules%20Dec_2015%20-%20changes%20highlighted.pdf