Going into the last day of action at the Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials, there is still plenty of action to come.
In the CIC3* for eight and nine year hold horses, New Zealand’s Jonelle Price holds an impressive lead going into the cross country, and looks set to win the class for the second year running with Cloud Dancer II. The world number four had to be at her best to contain the exuberant eight-year-old, a striking black gelding by San Remo, who clearly found the lively atmosphere at Blenheim a real eye-opener.
She said “We had a few lives in there but he’s quite Dutch and needs a bit of spirit for tomorrow’s cross-country, as it’s going to come down to time.”
Jonnelle has a few time faults in hand as the show jumping track has changed the order of play after the dressage. Clear rounds have elevated Irish rider Jonty Evans and Cooley’s Rorke’s Drift to second position and France’s Sidney Dufresne and Tresor Mail into third. Ireland’s Geoff Curran has gone up five places to fifth with a clear on River Derg, Pippa Funnell has risen five places to sixth with a clear round on Majas Hope and 19-year-old Emily King has leapt eight places to eighth on Charlemagne.
There were 15 clears from the 68 starters, of which 67 will go forward to the cross-country phase, which starts at 11am today.
In the CCI3*, America’s Clark Montgomery takes the lead going into the show jumping with two fences in hand over Australia’s Chris Burton with New Zealand’s Tim Price in third. Show Jumping starts at 9.30am.
Top 10 standings CIC3* 8/9 Year Old (after show jumping)
1. Jonelle Price, Cloud Dancer II
2. Jonty Evans, Cooley Rorkes Drift (IRE), 43.8
3. Sidney Dufresne, Tresor Mail (FRA). 44.1
4. Astier Nicolas, Spes Addit Or (FRA), 44.4
5. Pippa Funnell, Majas Hope, 46.7
6. Emily King, Charlmagne, 47.5
7. Fraser Duffy, Fernhill Revalation (IRE), 48.6
8. Ian Willis, Hartpury Sky Is The Limit, 49.0
9. Alex Hua Tian, Don Geniro (CHN), 49.6
10. Mark Kyle, Jemilla (IRE), 50.4