Last year the Charles Owen British Pony team secured double silver in Millstreet, Ireland. The selectors of the British Pony squad have now made their provisional long list for the team who will defend these 2014 European titles at the 2015 FEI Pony European Championships at Malmö, Sweden (5-9 August 2015).
Both Thomas Tulloch and Phoebe Locke from the 2014 Charles Owen British Pony Squad appear in the long list. Thomas and Spirit VI, winners of the recent 2015 Brand Hall Charles Owen National Pony Championships were placed 12th at Millstreet in 2014. The pair also won at Aston le Walls (2) Charles Owen Pony Trials earlier in May. With Access Bill, Thomas also took fifth place at Brand Hall last weekend.
Phoebe Locke and Quay have had top ten placings in all of their Pony Trial classes contested so far this season, coming third at both Withington Manor Pony Trials and at the Brand Hall Charles Owen National Pony Championships.
Joining Thomas and Phoebe on the long list is Isabel White and Daydream Fourteen who took the runner up spot at Brand Hall and fourth at Lincolnshire Pony Trials earlier in the season.
Gary Parsonage, Chairman of the Charles Owen British Pony programme said of the long-listed riders: “The Selectors have been very impressed with the level of commitment to improve and willingness to learn that these Pony Riders have shown in the Pony Trials this spring. As a result we are looking at a Squad that has a great mixture of experience and youth, and that has the potential, we believe, to produce a Squad that will make us proud in Malmö this year.”
“I would also like to extend our thanks to all of the events which have hosted Pony Trials this spring and also to Brand Hall for holding the 2015 Charles Owen National Pony Championships.”
The full provisional long list for the 2015 Charles Owen Pony squad is as follows in alphabetical order:
- Eloise Carter 14, from Suffolk with Alfie XI, 15 year old bay British-bred gelding of unknown breeding and owned by rider.
- Saffron Cresswell 14, from Worcestershire with Cuffesgrange Little Ric, 10 year old bay gelding of unknown breeding and owned by rider.
- Alice Hallows 15, from Suffolk with Ottava Rima, 12 year old bay British-bred gelding of unknown breeding and owned by Katherine Cross.
- Phoebe Locke 15, from Somerset with Quay, 13 year old bay British-bred mare by Kuwait Beach and owned by rider.
- Phoebe Nicholson 16, from Herefordshire with Llanstephan Brenin, 15 year old British-bred chestnut gelding by Pennardd Annwfn and owned by Hannah Mcleish
- Jessica Thomas 15, from Cheshire with Another Island, 12 year old grey gelding by Island Lad and owned by rider.
- Thomas Tulloch 15, from Shropshire with Access Bill, 10 year old black gelding, British-bred by Access Travel and owned by Charlotte Faulkner and Spirit VI, 17 year old bay gelding of unknown breeding and owned by Jancis Tulloch.
- Connie Warde-Aldam 14, from South Yorkshire with Hotshots, 15 year old chestnut British-bred gelding of unknown breeding and owned by rider
- Isabel White 16, from Nottinghamshire with Daydream Fourteen, 10 year old dun gelding of unknown breeding and owned by rider.
- Harriet Wright 16, from Derbyshire with Foxtown Cufflynx, 10 year old iron grey gelding by Westside Mirah and owned by rider.
The final squad of six to represent Britain, plus two named reserves, will be chosen further to a final trial at Barbury Castle International Horse Trials in July. The final selection will be made at the discretion of the Charles Owen Pony Squad Selectors, their decision is final.
British Eventing would like to thank Charles Owen for their long standing and enthusiastic support of the British Eventing Pony Programme and squad.
In addition to supporting Equestrian Team GBR, the UK Sport funded World Class Programme also contributes to British Eventing Young Rider, Junior and Pony Teams, to help them prepare for the Championships and deliver medals. BE also remain ever grateful for the absolute dedication and boundless energy that the HTSG put into raising funds which enable Britain to be represented at all youth levels of eventing. Visit www.htsg.co.uk for more information