The dates and venues for the 2016 Baileys Horse Feeds/British Breeding/British Equestrian Federation (BEF) Futurity evaluation series have been announced.
The Futurity evaluations aim to identify British bred young potential sport horses and ponies destined for top level careers in dressage, eventing, show-jumping or endurance. The Futurity is fast becoming recognised as an important first step in the careers of many potential top level horses and provides a valuable marketing took for breeders.
The 2016 Futurity evaluations will run from the 15th to the 31st August, covering 11 venues nationwide with a total of 12 days of evaluations. Entries are taken online and will open on the 1st July 2016.
The Futurity is open to British bred horses and ponies with group ages for foals, yearlings, two and three year olds, and selects for the main disciplines of dressage, show jumping, eventing and endurance. Each horse or pony undergoes a vet’s assessment and is then evaluated in hand and loose in an indoor school. Three year olds entered into either the show jumping or eventing sections are required to loose jump.
The BEF’s Head of Equine Development Jan Rogers said. “Breeders, buyers and riders of British bred horses are increasingly finding that a Futurity premium is very useful in helping to assess these horses. We are also seeing a marked improvement in the standard of youngsters entered in the futurity, which is very good news for the future of British breeding”.
Three-year-old horses and ponies are encouraged to attend for their final futurity year as a threshold score will result in an invitation to the Futurity Equine Bridge selection day under saddle in the following year. The aim of the Equine Bridge is to provide direction and support to riders and trainers and to help owners and breeders realise the best of their horse’s ability.
Futurity dates and venues 2016
- 15th August – Valeview EC, Leicestershire
- 16th August – Richmond EC, North Yorkshire
- 17th August – Myerscough, Lancashire
- 18th August – Reaseheath College, Cheshire
- 19th August – Keysoe EC, Bedfordshire
- 22nd August – Tall Trees Arena, Cornwall
- 23rd August- Hartpury College, Gloucestershire
- 25th August – Writtle College, Essex
- 27th August – Brendon Stud, East Sussex
- 28th August – Catherston Stud, Hampshire
- 30th August – Solihull RC 1, West Midlands
- 31st August – Solihull RC 2, West Midlands
For more information, visit www.britishbreeding.org.